Sunday 22 February 2009

And The Oscar Goes To . . .

I've just spent the last thirty minutes watching the acceptance speeches for this year's Oscars on it's official website. By all accounts, it looks like it was a grand night with its fair share of embarrassing speeches, co-ordinated close ups and poignant moments. In particular, the announcement of Heath Ledger as Best Actor brought genuine tears to the house.

How did I fare? Not too bad, but I missed out on the big prize, Best Movie and Director. Slumdog Millionaire was an obvious favourite and picked up many awards; congrats goes out to Danny Boyle and his crew for their wonderfully colourful movie.

Four for four in the actor categories, so I am happy with that. Kate Winslet would have been a close call with Angelina Jolie but it was a much deserved win. Heath Ledger was an absolute shoe in if there ever was one and Penelope Cruz was a favourite and her acceptance speech enjoyable to watch. Sean Penn's win would have split a few opinions, other people thinking that Brad Pitt or Mickey Rourke should have taken the Oscar, but my opinion remains that his performance in Milk was the best of a very good bunch.

Special mention goes out to Wall E for Best Animated Feature; I can picture the little guy adding the gold statue to his collection of odds and sods.

As for the Oscar poll, the group did well with six for six - well done to those of you who got them all.

Well that's it! An enjoyable, at times draining, three weeks of Oscar movie watching and reviewing. I hear the music starting up so I best be on my way.

Congratulations to all!!

No comments: