Sunday 15 March 2009

28: WATCHMEN

Why I chose it?

This was one of the comic books that I'd always heard about but had never read. It was the only graphic novel included in a recent listing of post 1930s 100 novels to read. It was a comic that changed the shape of superheroes. The trailer looked awesome. I didn't need too much more convincing.

Where?

Wandsworth, 630pm.

Comments?

In two words: awesome and complex. This is multilayered story telling at its best. Will have to watch it again to catch all the script's intricacies. It is an amazing movie to watch, visually out there with a narrative that jumps in and out, back and forth but still works. The alternative style and storyline will turn a few away, as will the long running time, and some diehard Watchmen fans might be a little peeved about glossed over details, but I enjoyed this immensely - a no holds barred anti-superhero roller coaster ride with violence, language, sex and the most interesting madman since The Joker! I'm talking about Rorschach!


Would I pay to see it?

Hell yes! Especially as some of the plot points passed over me. Not sure I'm too keen to see Dr Manhattan's blue penis again though.

Rating?

9 out of 10

Post Movie Quote:

"I'll be ticking off another of the 100 novels to read before you croak very damn soon."

No comments: