Wednesday 18 February 2009

21: THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON (OSCAR SERIES)

Eye on which Oscar?

Performance by an actor in a leading role
- Brad Pitt

Performance by an actress in a supporting role - Taraji P. Henson

Achievement in directing - David Fincher

Best motion picture of the year

Where?

Wandsworth, 8.15pm (after half a chicken with medium Peri Peri sauce).

Comments?

What a magical film this is! A magical film indeed. An astounding film with a unique premise and a warm message to convey. Fine performances, brilliant directing, a perfect script. Oscar whitewash? We'll come to that later.

The movie begins with the birth of a baby boy, born with the facial features and health of an eighty year old man. "He looks just like my ex-husband," says one of the residents of a New Orleans retirement home. The little baby was abandoned there by its father out of pure disgust for what he believes is a monstrous deformity of a child. The comment by the elderly resident is an example of the many warm comedic moments throughout the film.

The concept of the movie: as the boy grows older, his body grows younger. At five years old, he looks like an ageing midget (a cute one at that), in his early twenties, he takes on the appearance of a elderly gentleman with white hair and liver spots (but unmistakeably a bit of a ladies man underneath). And so on.

The premise is captivating and creates many interesting and humorous moments, all delivered with the utmost skill by the director, David Fincher. I did find myself wondering where it would end, how Benjamin Button would appear when he reached old age. Although the result, in my opinion, conflicted with the "rules" of Button's reverse ageing process, it was still touching. Just like the rest of the movie.

Those actors not nominated for Oscars turn in amazing performances, from the ever reliable Cate Blanchett as Button's everlasting love, Jared Harris as Captain Mike, a raucous character whose tattoos tell a sad story, Tilda Swinton as a upper class British woman whom Button falls for while staying in Russia and Jason Flemyng as Button's guilt ridden father. These characters, and many more, leave the movie as quickly as they arrive (only to reappear later), short term appearances with long lasting impact, each character personifying the movie's beautiful message.

Under the brilliant makeup (and it is brilliant, Cate Blanchett's appearance as a young twenty year old was amazing and moved me in more ways than I care to mention) and the perfect performances of the skilled actors, there is a simple story and a simple message, one that still resonates deeply. I won't mention what it is, as that would be spoiling your discovery of it. Needless to say, the movie made me think about my own life long after the credits had finished rolling.

Oscar worthy?

Oscar whitewash? Oscar clean sweep? Is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button that movie that heads off home after the ceremony with a big bag of golden statues over its shoulder, leaving everyone else to lick its wounds?


It's very very possible. However, it won't be a clean sweep, as it does not appear in every category - not in Best Actress or Best Supporting Actor. That small point aside, it could well pick up the rest.

Brad Pitt puts in a solid performance, understated in parts, amazing in others. His range is stretched here in a subtle way and he steps up to the plate, conveying a warm hearted man with the name of Benjamin Button. And the ladies love him. Is his performance better than Sean Penn? I'm borderline on this. Maybe Mickey Rourke will top them both.

Taraji P. Henson has been nominated for Best Supporting Actress as the African American woman who "adopts" the baby Button at the retirement home. She has presence and savvy on screen, a joy to watch, but I don't think she will take the Oscar. I thought that maybe even Tilda Swinton was better, but that's just my opinion.

As for Best Director and Best Movie, yes, I think Benjamin Button will win. It is such a beautifully shot, well constructed, warm hearted movie that it deserves recognition as a work of art. I took this movie with me out of the theatre and it still stays with me, a sign of something special. Out of what I have seen thus far, I would say that David Fincher and the production team will receive the Oscars. But Slumdog Millionaire may have something to say about that.

Oh yeah, was the movie too long as some have suggested? I didn't even notice.

Rating?

9 out of 10

Post Movie Quote:

"Nothing could be more entertaining or joyful than watching the young Benjamin Button in his old guise discovering life."

3 comments:

Farinelli said...

I think that this was way too long. Som parts left me speechless, and others left me yawning. An OScar wrthy film shouldn't encite BOTH ends of the scale - Slumdog rocked!

Farinelli said...

...off to learn how to spell...

Daryl said...

I agree Emma, it's a long film, but I must admit I didn't notice. I just found the movie mesmerising where with Slumdog, I felt a little untouched by the story.

The Oscars have obviously proved my lack of taste!!