Wednesday 25 June 2008

9: THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Why I chose it?

Seeking out another blockbuster after the disappointment of The Happening, The Incredible Hulk looked entertaining and visually impressive. Having not seen the first Ang Lee movie which received a critically and commercially luke warm response, I had no expectations of a return to form for the big green monster. I hoped that this would increase my enjoyment.

Where?

Cinema 2, Wandsworth Southside Shopping Centre, 7.10pm (I now have this uncanny knack of getting there by bus with moments to spare.)

Comments?

Firstly, I was surprised it wasn’t an origin movie. My perception going in was that this movie was to wipe the slate clean of the first one, starting from scratch. Except for a recap of sorts over the opening credits, this second instalment of The Incredible Hulk is a continuation and begins with Bruce Banner hiding out from the American military, trying to find a cure for his furious temper that, if unchecked, gives way to a bad case of CGI-tis.

After the initial scene setting, the movie just passed me by. Not necessarily a case of “so what” but as events unraveled on the screen, action sequences and character scenes alike, they had little impact. It was also hard to sympathise with the title character. The Incredible Hulk was masterly presented in computer generated beauty, but this made it difficult for me when I was searching for the tormented human Bruce Banner within, even when his eyes went all gooey at the sight of Liv Tyler. At least with Lou Ferrigno (who has a short cameo here), he kinda looked human.



The movie isn’t as bad as all that. It stacks up pretty well against Iron Man, another recent superhero movie, and has a better battle finale, but Ed Norton is no Robert Downey Jnr when it comes to portraying intriguing alter egos. The Incredible Hulk does have some positives: it has some good action sequences and doesn’t fall into superhero clichés (except for the aforementioned final fight).

My assessment of this movie may have been dragged down by the fact that I have become tired of multi-million dollar blockbusters after the long spate of them since [REC]. The Incredible Hulk is a reasonable superhero outing, but compared to Iron Man, which it has more in common with than first thought, it can not be said to be memorable.

Would I pay to see it?

It's borderline but I would say yes.

Rating?

5.5 out of 10

Post Movie Quote:

"Time for some independent movies; I’m all blockbusted out." Daryl Nilbett

No comments: