Monday 9 June 2008

6: GONE BABY GONE

Why I chose it?

This movie was delayed for nine months in the UK to respect the feelings of the parents and those close to Madeleine McCann. However, the film's parallels to that tragic real life abduction case was not why I wanted to see it - I actually saw a poster for Gone Baby Gone in Chicago last September and it looked good. I had just seen Casey Affleck in the Jesse James movie and was liking his work. It is also Ben Affleck's directorial debut, which makes for interesting viewing, and by all reports, he has received the thumbs up. To top it off, it's based on a book by Dennis Lehane, an author I have not read but I have heard a lot about - in particular for his work on The Wire and for another one of his books, Mystic River, which has also been adapted, with Oscar winning results.

Where?

Cinema 12, Wandsworth Southside Shopping Centre, 6.10pm (I know, I know, I should've been outside in the sun.)

Comments?

This is a must see - a very moving, emotional and gripping movie, perfectly handled by Ben Affleck for his first go at directing.

I must admit, the first few scenes had me thinking about Madeleine McCann, but soon after, it was the story of the little girl Amanda and the private investigator asked to find her that had me engrossed.


Casey Affleck is excellent as Patrick Kenzie, his subtle expressions and quiet voice perfect for the role as the honest, street wise P.I. who attempts to find the missing four year old girl. Other standouts in the cast include Ed Harris, Michelle Monaghan and in particular, Amy Ryan as the mother whose sordid life attracts blame for the disappearance of her only child.

The questions faced by the principal characters are not clear cut, making each decision all the more gut wrenching and impacting.

Parents watching this movie will find it hard to keep their emotions under control; everyone else will be both distressed and moved by this story of a little lost girl.

Would I pay to see it?

Yes.

Rating?

9 out of 10 (even though it is a completely different genre and they have the same rating, I would put this above The Orphanage and [REC]).

Post Movie Quote:

"Gone Baby Gone is an important film delivered with honesty and ability by everyone involved, especially the Affleck brothers. Inspiring to me not just as a film buff, but also as a writer." Daryl Nilbett, pensive.

No comments: