Tuesday 20 January 2009

17: STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS

Why I chose it?

You're either Star Trek or you're Star Wars. I've always been Star Wars and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to see another entry into the legend on the big screen. Almost missed out too - last session at Cineworld!

Where?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. I'm that far behind in my posts.

Comments?

It was the last ever session at Cineworld for the first computer animated movie entry into the Lucas legend that is Star Wars. It was out in the cinemas for a long time but I hadn't got around to seeing it. The last ever session, screening at 11am on a Sunday morning in Wandsworth - I was expecting a vacant cinema. In fact, I was the only adult there; the only adult without a kid. Yes, it was me, 100 parents and 150 kids. Mayhem.

That said, this movie was perfect for them - amazing graphics, albeit bordering on too cartoony, and loads of action. And Yoda. The little tackers lapped it up - reminded me of the first time I saw a Star Wars movie many dual moons ago.

For me the movie was entertaining, although it almost didn't feel like a Star Wars movie. I hadn't seen the TV series so hadn't been warmed up to the new visuals and the notable absence of the Twentieth Century Fox fanfare did throw me a bit. But the story is pure Star Wars and the action never lets up. I'll concede the storyline was a little weak (Jabba The Hutt's son is kidnapped?? Sounds like a plot better suited to the "Droids" cartoon) but it was good enough to keep me interested.

All the familiar characters are here too - Obi Wan, Anakin, Yoda - and a few new faces too, but most of the voices are different, except for Samuel L Jackson (who must be a true fan), Anthony Daniels and Christopher Lee. The old characters stay true to their live action counterparts and the new bods fit well into the Star Wars universe.
Overall, an entertaining Sunday morning spent with a bunch of kids experiencing a new Star Wars movie - brought back the memories! And I must say, it did fuel my excitement for the new cartoon series.

Would I pay to see it?

It's Star Wars: unless the words "Ewok Adventure" are included in the title, I'd pay to see it without question.

Rating?

7 out of 10

Post Movie Quote:
"May The Force Be With You" to every parent with a screaming child.

No comments: