Tuesday 10 June 2008

7: INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL

Why I chose it?


If this was my first time seeing Indy 4, I would've ignored this question - it's Indy, of course I'm going to see it!


Why see it again? I wanted to enjoy it all over again but I also wanted to see if the mixed feelings I had about the ending could be rectified with an expectation free repeat viewing.


Where?


Cinema 13, Wandsworth Southside Shopping Centre, 7.15pm (Wandsworth again? I hear you say. Well, it's got the most screens and the popcorn is rocking and I quite enjoy the bus ride.)


Comments?


This is definitely an Indy movie - wise cracks, close calls, car chases, nasty villains, the fedora - it's all here and a whole lot of fun it is too. Indy is back!


Harrison Ford, albeit 20 years older since the last instalment, still pulls it off as the archaeologist adventurer out to discover all the wonders of the world and keep them out of the hands of those nasty Nazis (or in this case, Russians).






It's very entertaining and you can tell the whole production gang enjoyed themselves too. The addition of Shia LaBeouf is great, a James Dean type who takes a fair share of the action, leaving the much older Jonesy to stunts that are more considerate of his age. However, that said, Harrison Ford doesn't shy away from the action, performing the majority of his own stunts with impressive strength and agility. If the light is right and you can't see the silver hair, he doesn't look a day older than The Last Crusade.


As mentioned above, I've already seen this movie and had mixed feelings about the plot device and the ending. We had The Ark of the Covenant, the Sankara stone and the Holy Grail - all plot devices with religious and spiritual connotations. Kingdom of The Crystal Skull offers up something a little bit left of field and maybe a little too far out there to fit into the mold of the Indy movies we love so dearly. Sure, the plot is relevant to the period in question and should resonate with modern audiences, but something about it doesn't click and unfortunately, I'm still on the fence about it after a second viewing. In fact, I hasten to say that I enjoyed it a little less the second time around.


That said, what the movie does do is bring back the memories of the Indy franchise, back when my dad took me to see my first movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and how it scared the crap out of me. Great memories, rekindled by a movie that stays true to the originals but is brave enough to try something different, even if that decision's success is still not decided in my mind.


Still great fun!


Would I pay to see it?


Already did.


Rating?


7.5 out of 10 (an extra half point for nostalgic reasons)


Post Movie Quote:


"Can't wait to watch the old ones again!" Daryl Nilbett, with a crack of his whip.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you didn't sleep through it D!

I loved the original Indy movies myself, but I have to say, I've heard several similar tales of a lack lustre ending that took the shine off the whole movie. Kind of why I've not bothered to go out and see it myself yet.

Daryl said...

You should see it Jo! It's worth seeing it on the big screen for sure.