Monday 30 March 2009

29: DUPLICITY

Why I chose it?

To tell you the truth, I travelled all the way to Hammersmith hoping that it was showing The Damned United. Alas, it wasn't. Therefore, I was left with four movies to choose from. Duplicity was picked because I like Clive Owen and I enjoyed Michael Clayton, which was written by the director.

Where?

Hammersmith, 830pm.

Comments?

Duplicity tries hard to bring together a complex plot of mystery and intrigue and almost pulls it off. The final twist in the tale is both clever and predictable and the film is a little clunky in bringing it all together. There's not the same feeling of complete satisfaction when the plot knots are unpicked; not like, say, Ocean's Eleven, which is as good a comparison as any.

The on screen chemistry between Julia Roberts (who, in my opinion, walks funny) and Clive Owen (always good) is not too bad. The banter between the two is enjoyable but is not as "cool" or smooth flowing as others (e.g. Out of Sight). The flashbacks to how their relationship develops is slightly annoying but is reasonably well handled. The one thing I couldn't get a grip on was how this relationship would work or last, given that they don't trust each other one iota. Must be the sex.

Would I pay to see it?

Probably not. It's an enjoyable romp that can be experienced on your TV at home and not necessary for a big screen experience.

Rating?

6 out of 10

Post Movie Quote:

"Not bad for a second choice. Must review cinema times in the future."

No comments: