Wednesday 28 May 2008

5: IN BRUGES

Why I chose it?

I'm always up for crime movies with a bit of dark comedy, and based on the previews, this seemed to fit into that category quite well. I also saw an interview with the director (who has a background in theatre) and it sounded interesting.

Where?

Cinema 12, Wandsworth Southside Shopping Centre, 8.25pm (took the 28 bus from Paddington

Comments?

I really enjoyed this one. Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson and Ralph Fiennes were superb, delivering a witty and entertaining script perfectly.

There's dark humour for sure, and more than its fair share of violence, but there are underlying mature themes that are delivered with subtlety and skill. One particular scene had me close to tears, not of laughter, but sadness - an event that drives one of the characters to great despair.

But there's comedy to be had here too. There are laugh out loud classic lines even if the jokes are non PC and there are enough C bombs to warrant the 18 rating. On the face of it, these elements interlaced with drawn out Bruges snapshots and a simple melodic soundtrack don't seem to gel, but take my word for it, it all fits perfectly.

Slow at times, cliche ridden at others, but entertaining and thought provoking.

Dark with a heart.

Would I pay to see it?

For sure - this movie has more substance than anything Guy Ritchie has produced and it has better laughs.

Rating?

7 out of 10

Post Movie Quote:

"Very good - really enjoyed it. Now how the f$*k do I get home from here?!" Daryl Nilbett, while searching for the nearest bus stop.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have too much time on my hands at work, to browse the old 'tinterweb, and find you've only gone and got yourself another blog.....

guess I'll have to stalk you over here too (grin)

Have fun enjoying thi obviously well thought out gift from the Jingo.

Daryl said...

Thanks Jo!

Hard to find time to watch the movies in this lovely summer weather but I expect to pick up the pace in a few months when everything turns dark and drizzly again!

Enjoy your meandering through the web!!