Wednesday 16 September 2009

Paying For It - Number 4 (The Thing)

As part of Cineworld's Universal re-release series, I went with five others to watch the brilliant sci-fi/horror classic John Carpenter's The Thing, starring Kurt Russell.

I've seen the movie a number of times but never on the big screen, and Cineworld West India Quay was the perfect place to do just that. Universal had touched up the quality a bit, leaving the quality of picture immaculate, especially with the white snow covered landscape of the Antarctic (or British Columbia in reality).

Only slightly dated, the movie is still a brilliant horror film with impressive Rob Bottin effects and a tangible sense of claustrophobia and paranoia. The only negative comment about the experience was the significant lip sync issues, due to either the re-mastered print or the fault of the cinema.

The Thing: a repeat viewing worth the admission price.

I'll finish off with my favourite line from the movie:

"I know you gentlemen have been through a lot . . . but when you find the time . . . I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!"

No comments: